COMPUTER INVENTION: THE TOP 25 PC’s OF ALL TIME
PC World has just come out with their pick of the Top 25 All Time examples of computer invention and innovation.
PC World thought hard about what qualities make a great PC. Part of that was to decide - What Is A PC? They determined that “a PC is anything that's recognizably a desktop or portable computer in design--or, alternatively, anything that runs an operating system originally created for desktops and laptops.”
With that determined PC World then boiled down computer invention into four factors - the Four “I’s:”
- Innovation: Did the PC do anything that was genuinely new? Did it incorporate the latest technology?
- Impact: Was it widely imitated? Did it become part of the Cultural zeitgeist?
- Industrial design: Was it a looker? Did it have clever features that made using it a pleasure?
- Intangibles: Was there anything else about it that set it apart from the same ol' same ol'?
Without further adieu - I can report that APPLE is represented FIVE times - twice in the top five - three in the top ten - and five times overall. And this from a PC magazine.
Not that I am biased or anything. I just found out why I like Apple and MAC so much - four out of the five Apple developers are left-handed. It’s no wonder I see things their way. Lefties unite!
Enough soap box. the top 25 PC’s of all time in computer invention:
- 1. 1977 Apple II
- 2. 1986 Compaq Deskpro 386
- 3. 1981 Xerox 8010 Information System
- 4. 1986 Apple Macintosh Plus
- 5. 1992 IBM ThinkPad 700C
- 6. 1981 IBM Personal Computer, Model 5150
- 7. 1985 Commodore Amiga 1000
- 8. 1983 Tandy TRS-80 Model 100
- 9. 1982 Columbia Data Products MPC 1600-1
- 10. 1991 Apple PowerBook 100
- 11. 1998 Sony VAIO 505GX
- 12. 1975 MITS Altair 8800
- 13. 1984 IBM Personal Computer/AT Model 5170
- 14. 1979 Atari 800
- 15. 2001 Shuttle SV24 Barebone System
- 16. 1977 Tandy TRS-80 Model I
- 17. 1987 Toshiba T1000
- 18. 1993 Hewlett-Packard OmniBook 300
- 19. 2002 Apple iMac, second generation
- 20. 1996 Gateway 2000 Destination
- 21. 1998 Alienware Area-51
- 22. 1993 Hewlett-Packard 100LX
- 23. 1997 Apple eMate 300
- 24. 2006 Toshiba Qosmio G35-AV650
- 25. 1982 Non-Linear Systems Kaypro II
This list and information is courtesy of PC World. You can get the whole article at:
TOP ALL TIME 25 EXAMPLES OF COMPUTER INVENTION